Saturday 14 December 2013

Decorated Initial 'S' - My first altered letter.

I have had a great time decorating this MDF letter S.

The MDF was covered with gesso to start with, then I used a flower stencil and some stencil paste to give the center part some texture. I then painted over the whole letter and after this was dry I added highlights with Inka-Gold and the colour I used was 'Gold'. This made the stenciling stand out and gave a nice texture and highlight to the edges of the letter. You can see the shine in the picture below.


I have used some clay items that I made using moulds I have. I used a head that I had made with terracotta air dry clay, and rubbed over Inka-Gold. I did the same with a clock face. The two swirls were made with white paper clay which is very light weight and these I coloured gold. I also added a clay key that had been painted bronze, but I rubbed over Inka-Gold again.



All around the edge, I glued a lovely lace trim.


I added the Tim Holtz dangle from the top, and I had a metal pendant frame, that I added a picture to. Before adding glossy accents to the picture I added micro beads around the edge for some interest. Also the metal pendant was silver coloured and I got out the Inka-Gold again so that it matched in with the other embellishments.

The flowers were either wild orchid crafts, prima, or other flowers from my stash.


My first altered letter, and I had a lot of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment